How do I get rid of tooth decay at home?
It is possible to avoid dental caries or get rid of it in the early stages and prevent the formation of cavities by following some home procedures and measures that contribute to remineralizing the weak areas in the enamel layer before the formation of cavities; But once the cavity penetrates the dentin, it cannot be disposed of by home methods, and at that time it is worth seeing a doctor, Here comes a statement of some of these home procedures and measures:
Refrain from eating sugary foods
World health organization) and WHO, which recommends reducing the amount of sugar intake to less than 10% of the total calories obtained per day, and abstaining from eating sugary foods is one of the measures used to prevent the formation of cavities in the teeth; As soon as you do not eat sugary foods and their effect in the mouth is gone; This provides an opportunity to remineralize the enamel, although it is necessary to eat sugary foods; It is advised not to eat it throughout the day; Eating it constantly does not give the tooth enamel the opportunity to remineralize, as we mentioned earlier, and leads to damage and damage to the tooth enamel due to harmful bacteria that feed on the sugars that are eaten and cause the formation of acids that attack and damage the enamel, which in turn may also lead to the formation of cavities and holes in the teeth, If left untreated, cavities can reach deeper layers of the tooth. Which in turn leads to pain and the possibility of tooth loss.
The role of fluoride is to prevent tooth decay by being an inhibitor of bacterial enzymes, in addition to its ability to promote remineralization and inhibit demineralization of crystalline structures within the tooth. This makes the surface of the tooth resistant to acids, and furide can be used either by applying it directly to the tooth through many of the options mentioned below, or by resorting to other methods. such as adding it to drinking water, and here comes a statement of all these methods:
- Fluoridated drinking water: Community drinking water fluoridation is recommended to reduce tooth decay among children and adults. This is a safe and effective method to provide optimal levels of fluoride needed to prevent tooth decay and possibly remineralize teeth and thus eliminate early-stage decay.
- Fluoride toothpaste.
- Fluoride mouthwash.
- Food supplements or vitamins containing fluoride.
- Fluoride compounds that can be applied in the doctor's office, such as: gels and coatings.
Maintaining oral hygiene
It is possible to maintain oral and dental hygiene and prevent cavities by following the following instructions:
- Brushing the teeth with a toothbrush and toothpaste that contains fluoride at least twice a day. Which contributes to repairing any early damage that may occur to the tooth enamel and preventing the accumulation of dental plaques on it.
- Floss once a day to prevent plaque buildup between the teeth, and it's best to do flossing at night before bed. To prevent bacteria from obtaining their food and multiplying during the night period.
Chewing sugar-free gum
The saliva in the mouth helps to get rid of the acids resulting from the breakdown of food by the bacteria present in the dental plaque, and also contributes to the disposal of very small food particles left after eating. Accordingly, it is recommended to chew sugar-free gum for 20 minutes after meals each time, due to its main role in increasing saliva secretion, which helps reduce tooth decay.
In a study published in the Journal of Conservative Dentistry in 2015, it was found that chewing sugar-free gum after meals helps remineralize tooth enamel and reduces the levels of a type of bacteria present in saliva. The study was conducted on two types of compounds found in gum, They are: Xylitol, which is indicated for its ability to stimulate saliva flow, raise the pH of dental plaque, and Casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP). Xylitol reduces the percentage of Streptococcus mutans bacteria present in saliva; Which in turn contributes to the reduction of tooth decay, and it is indicated that these types of frankincense are available in stores.
Take vitamin D
Vitamin D plays an important role in the mineralization and building of bones and teeth, and its importance in turn is to help the body absorb calcium and phosphate from the food that is eaten, and it can be obtained from several sources, such as: sunlight, in addition to dairy products. dairy; such as milk and yogurt, and it is indicated that there is an inverse relationship between eating food rich in vitamin D and calcium and the formation of cavities in young children, and that its low levels may lead to an imbalance and a deficiency in the minerals present in the teeth; Which makes it highly vulnerable to fracture and decay.
Rinsing with oil
The method of rinsing with oil or drawing with oil is one of the methods used in alternative medicine. A study published in the Indian Journal of Dental Research in 2009 found that using this method, which includes filling the mouth with a tablespoon of sesame oil or coconut oil and rinsing it for a period of Then spitting it out of the mouth may help improve dental health, reduce the amount of dental plaque and bacteria with the same effectiveness as mouthwash, and thus help remineralize tooth enamel and prevent cavities, but with reference to the need for more studies to confirm the effectiveness of this method.
How do I get rid of tooth decay pain at home
Tooth decay or the formation of cavities in the tooth is the most common cause of toothache, when bacteria penetrate the tooth enamel after causing erosion, and it is advised to follow some procedures and measures to relieve the pain of tooth decay at home, with the need to see a doctor to treat weak areas of the tooth and repair the formed cavities; As it is not possible to get rid of these cavities at home, as mentioned previously, and some of these measures and household procedures follow:
- Taking pain relievers: Over-the-counter pain relievers help relieve pain, such as: Ibuprofen and Paracetamol, with the need to consult a doctor before taking any of them in the event of a health problem.
- Saline rinsing: A solution prepared from warm water to which a little salt is added may help kill bacteria and temporarily relieve pain.
- Applying cold or hot compresses: Placing a cold or hot compress on the outside of the mouth helps relieve toothache, and switching between a cold and hot compress from time to time may also help relieve pain.
- Applying anesthetic gel: Applying an over-the-counter anesthetic dental gel can temporarily relieve toothache. This is after consulting the doctor.
Reasons to see a dentist
It is necessary to see the dentist regularly for examinations and cleaning of the teeth periodically and scheduled annually. This is to detect any decay that may occur in the teeth. Early detection of cavities is the best way to avoid the spread of tooth decay in the dentin or pulp of the tooth, as it is indicated that tooth decay may not cause any symptoms in its early stages, and not all cavities formed may cause pain, and as We mentioned earlier that home measures and procedures reduce the risk of cavities or treat tooth enamel damage in the stage that precedes the formation of cavities, and therefore these measures must be followed in conjunction with the techniques recommended by the dentist, such as: brushing the teeth using brush and toothpaste, which is preferably containing Fluoride, and in some cases the patient may need a tooth filling, a tooth dressing, or other treatment for advanced caries.